Skip to main content

A West Side Story

Operator: West Valley Police Dispatch. How can I help you?
Me: Yeah... I found a suspicious package on my driveway this morning. It's a clear bag full of money and some sort of mixture that looks like sand and salt.
Operator: Can you tell what it is?
Me: No, but I thought it might be drugs so I called. I can clearly see a $100 bill.
Operator: Ok. I'll send some officers out there soon.
Me: Should I move the bag away - in case the person comes back for it?
Operator: No, don't touch it till they get there and see what it is.

So I patiently wait and because I'm certain that the person who dropped this will be back, I wait outside and stand right over the package. Ten minutes later a cop car pulls up.

Officer 1: Hello Miss. So, you have a suspicious package huh?
Me: Yes, it's right here. I'm not sure what it is, but I haven't touched it.
Officer 2: You found it this morning?
Me: Yes, as I was taking the garbage out. I checked with my roommates and it doesn't belong to them.
Officer 1: Okay, let's take a look at this. Uh, Miss... this is a fake bill.
Me: What?!
Officer 1: Yeah, it's fake. Let's open it up.
Me: Do you want me to go get some gloves?
Officer 1: [chuckling] No, that won't be necessary. Well you did find something... this is an advertisement.
Me: What?! An advertisement!
Officer 1: And the drugs... that's actually sand. It's an easy way to advertise. Fill the bag and toss it.
Me: [laughing pretty hard at this point].... I thought I stopped a drug drop
Officer 1: Nope, but it appears the advertiser caught your attention.

At this point my neighbor comes around the corner to see what's going on.

Officer 1: Hello Ma'am. Did you get your $100 this morning.
Brooke: Yeah, I sure did. I already tossed mine.
Me: Not me! I thought it was drugs so I called the police! I even made sure to not touch the package. I must watch too many cop/crime drama's cause I could just see CSI out here tearing up the front yard. I feel really stupid right now... I'm so sorry to waste your time.

Officer 2: Well you've made our morning a lot funnier.

Me: Well, I'm glad I could help.

Officer 1: Well have a great day, cause you've made ours!


This is how my Tuesday morning started. How was yours?

Comments

Cook Family said…
Erin I LOVE YOU!!!!! Thanks for making my day too :)
Beth and Jess said…
Oh my gosh!!!! I love it!!! So funny. You are the best.
David and Julie said…
It does look real in the picture. You are hillarious. David loved the story and was laughing pretty hard at you!
Haley said…
My blog post today is simply a referral to read this posting of yours. You may find yourself with a new onslaught of fans.

I can't contain the giggling.
Charity said…
You are awesome!!! Can't wait to show Dean!
Charity said…
Dean wants to know who the company was?? Gr888 advertising!
Ha ha!!! You are SO funny! Definitely too much CSI! In fact, are you sure this isn't from an episode of CSI? It sounds like a perfect cover up...an advertisment....it even fooled WVC Police! LOVE YOU!
Marti said…
Really that might be the best story I've heard in a long time! HILARIOUS!!! I'm so still giggling thinking about you going CSI on the WVC police!
Matt said…
Erin! So glad to have found your blog through Haley. Welcome to the true WEST SIDE! Try to take it easy on the CSI from now on.
Coach Lee said…
i have no words...that is hilarious
Meg said…
This is such an Erin story! I love it! Thanks for making me laugh!

Popular posts from this blog

When There's Nothing Left to Burn, You Have to Set Yourself on Fire

* UPDATE - So you can all cool your Japanese jets (Stacy), I've finally added the pictures* And so begins the theme song to my 4th of July adventure –Your Ex-Lover is Dead, by Stars. For the 4th of July, I headed south and east to Blanding with my friend Nicole. Nicole grew up in Blanding and a lot of her family still lives there. We left Thursday night and began the 5 hour drive around 7:00 pm. Nicole brought along her dog Bella, an imperial shitzu, which translates to “a pain in the ass”. Picture a chicken nugget with legs – this is Nicole’s dog. Now Bella isn’t disobedient, she just hates me and I hate her. Bella loves to bark and when she barks, she spits – I refer to it as sparking. I was sparked on all weekend – not my favorite thing. Well, Nicole and I finally arrived in Blanding around midnight and the town was alive and buzzing. Every 3rd of July they start a softball game that lasts until 3 or 4 am. Nicole and I didn’t play, but the entire town was there, it was great.

I know you are, but what am I?

I know that majority of my posts are rants - but that's who I am and I ask you not to judge me.  Today's rant is for engaged people everywhere.  I have lots of married friends and several engaged friends and about 90% of them have all comitted this crime - the crime of assuming that because they are engaged and happy that I must follow suit. I love to celebrate an engagement/wedding; it's an exciting time and deserves rejoicing but doesn't need to be used as a tool to discuss with me my current state of bliss (which is usually quite high).  I was talking with The Pirate the other day about this very topic. We both have engaged people in our lives who are now suddenly wanting to know who we are dating, who we like, what are we doing to "find our eternal best friend", etc.  I'm very happy for these friends, but I'm not quite sure why the mantle of happiness spreader comes to them. Is there a sense of obligation that an engaged person feels to help others

Chivalry isn't dead, it's killing me.

I've got a bump on my head and a headache - all from my friend opening the door for me. The other day my friend and I attempted to go shopping to try and find him some new clothes.  This friend of mine is a complete gentlemen. He insists on opening car doors, building doors, getting your chair, etc. So as we approached the mall, he went to get the door and I waited. Quick side note: For those of you who have known me a long time, you may know that I rarely wait for guys to get the door. For a long time I never had a guy friend who got the door. If I saw I door, I'd open it and just bust on through (kind of like Kramer). Why wait? Well I started hanging out with gentlemanly friends and started adopting some patience for these door opening men. So Friend grabbed the door and I started to walk through and then WHAMO!  The door had slammed me in the head. I was so disoriented from the hit that I just stood there and looked around. I looked back at Friend and his face was froz