Skip to main content

Who's the Boss?

I believe that each of us are with our specific parents for a reason - that Heavenly Father placed us with those parents who could best help us, compliment us, assist us and love us. 

I feel very fortunate to be with the family I have, especially my dad. My dad has always been and always will be the the role model and example of a worthy Priesthood holder, a supportive husband and a loving father that I look up to and will compare my future companion to. 

I have a lot of great memories of my dad; but one of my favorites is Saturday mornings as a kid. My siblings and I all have a love for good cartoons and back in the day Bugs Bunny and friends ran Saturday mornings in our house. We would get up early and head down to watch our cartoons - soon my dad was close behind helping us pour bowls of cereal and sitting down and watching cartoons with us.  To this day my dad will sit down with the grandkids and watch an episode of Bugs Bunny or any other Looney Toons video. I have so many memories of us sitting on the couch and laughing with dad. 

As I got older I became more aware of just how much I needed my dad. Growing up I was always given a Father's Blessing from my dad before school started, or for something else that was challenging me. When I moved to Logan for school it was just the same - he pulled me aside gave me a blessing and then moved me up to school. A few months later I was making some big decisions and my natural instinct was to have my dad give me a blessing, but he wasn't down the hallway anymore. There were times where I'd have a hard day and need someone to make me laugh or tell me to calm down and I began to realize that whenever I had weighty matters on my mind I'd take them to my dad. Sometimes indirectly and others very blatant. I never realized how much I sought out his guidance until I didn't have it around me all the time.  But what I did have with me were all the lessons my dad had taught me along the way - I just needed to recall them.  

It's been a joy to watch him help my siblings along they way too as they start their own families. They still call him and visit him to get his input and council because they respect him and love him. 

I've noticed too how many things I've adopted in my life that I took from my dad. My love of music, love of sports (Jazz and Nascar), desire to increase my knowledge (spiritual and temporal), a smirk/smile when I'm trying to hide something, a certain stuborness and independence. The list goes on and on. 

My dad is the best! He's an amazing father, husband, grandpa and person and I feel fortunate and spoiled to have him. 

I love you Dad!

Comments

Beth and Jess said…
Awwww!!! That is so sweet. I love your dad too. This was such a nice post. sniff sniff. :)
Charity said…
I am lucky to get to share him with you! Nice post!!
David and Julie said…
You write things so well. Awesome post! We are very lucky to have our dad. He is amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

I Stand All Amazed!

This past weekend was a very memorable one for me;  I received my endowments. This is something I’ve been thinking about doing for quite a long time, but wanted to make sure I was doing it for the right reasons. Mt Timpanogos Temple (can you see me in the middle?!) Well after several lengthy conversations with my parents, siblings and a few close friends, praying and fasting, I knew that I was ready. I called the temple, set the date and then notified friends and family. I won’t go into details here about my experience, but I will tell you that I’ve never felt more beautiful, loved and calm as I did that day. I also strengthened my testimony about my Savior and His plan for us. I haven’t stopped smiling since Saturday, but thank heavens I stopped crying. It was such and amazing emotional experience for me and I’m so happy to have been able to share it with my family and friends! Here are a few photos from the day. Mom, Me and Dad Me, my parents

My insignificant 6

6 Insignificant Things About Me Well Stacy tagged me, so here are 6 insignificant things about me that some of you didn’t know about till now 1. I hate the site of chewed gum! You know how people put their gum on their plate while they eat dinner? Well the site of that makes me want to gag. I’d rather buy that person a whole pack of gum then look at it on their plate. 2. I have broken my left arm twice –two summers in a row and at the same person’s house. 3.I can’t pee if anyone is within a ten foot radius of me. So no groups of girls going to bathroom together and I need to be in public restrooms completely alone or else it’s a waste of my time. 4.I’m a monster! I have abnormally small hands (and according to Emily, small feet). I’ve been told several times that my hands are unusually small. I can’t hold a football and have a hard time with a basketball. I get cramps using chopsticks and I drop things all the time. One of the best examples of this (which is already in an earlier post)

Chivalry isn't dead, it's killing me.

I've got a bump on my head and a headache - all from my friend opening the door for me. The other day my friend and I attempted to go shopping to try and find him some new clothes.  This friend of mine is a complete gentlemen. He insists on opening car doors, building doors, getting your chair, etc. So as we approached the mall, he went to get the door and I waited. Quick side note: For those of you who have known me a long time, you may know that I rarely wait for guys to get the door. For a long time I never had a guy friend who got the door. If I saw I door, I'd open it and just bust on through (kind of like Kramer). Why wait? Well I started hanging out with gentlemanly friends and started adopting some patience for these door opening men. So Friend grabbed the door and I started to walk through and then WHAMO!  The door had slammed me in the head. I was so disoriented from the hit that I just stood there and looked around. I looked back at Friend and his face was froz