Skip to main content

Just cool Your Japanese Jets!

I enjoyed some fantastic home made sushi this weekend. My friend Emily had a dinner party at her place where we all chipped in and made sushi. It was delicious! I've always wanted to make my own sushi, and now I know how.
I tried to document this thoroughly so I can remember the steps. You first have to lay down soy paper or rice and start patting it into a rectangle.
You should only have 3 items in your sushi roll or else your taste buds will become overwhelmed.
Once you have everything laid out you start rolling it in the bamboo mat.
My first ever sushi roll! I was so proud of myself and everyone laughed at how many pictures I took during this process!
Here's us slicing our rolls! My roll is the one on the right - the less perfect roll. Brian's master piece is on the left.
Emily at one point couldn't handle the stress in the kitchen. Don't worry, we got the knife away before anything happened.
A huge thanks to Mark & Rendy for bringing the soy paper, cooking the tempura veggies and shrimp and being our experts. Also thanks to Brian for making the sticky rice and tackling the hornets nest (that story is below). Thanks to Holly for making the delicious veggie rolls for her boyfriend Jer, even though Jer didn't really like them - he preferred the ones with fish. And a ginormous thanks to Emily and Cailen for hosting a great party and letting us stay at their house all night.
I should mention that before the sushi making started, Emily's husband Cailen and their friend Brian, decided that they needed to get rid of a bees nest. I had to document this event! The hive was sitting at the top of their roof and they were going to spray it, and then knock it down with a stick. It went fairly well and was far more dramatic in person. Emily and I just watched as Brian climbed up on the ladder and blasted the nest with the spray and then jabbed it with the pole. The best part was when the nest flew off and landed on Brian's car. I have video of this, but I haven't figured out how to post video yet.

Comments

Cook Family said…
Chris says you need to come visit and make him some sushi :)
Mick and Tiff said…
Yes, you need to make Chris some sushi and Corine and I will go get us some burgers!!! Looks like fun to make but probably not so fun to eat. (not much of a squishy raw fish fan)
That sushi sonds good!I know I know you think it's funny that I now comment on Blogs I don't care!you should come over sometime! love,Whitney
Michelle said…
Sounds fun! I'm impressed. Then again I've never even tried sushi so I should admit I have no idea what to compare it to :)
Cook Family said…
Erin I don't know what it is about your birthday I always remember days after. someday I will remember (maybe). Just know I love you and I really did think of you.
Corine
Stacy and Tay said…
I'm very impressed! I wanted to make some smart-A comment but I've never tried to make sushi so I'm just going to have to appreciate your skills on this one and I'll make fun of you about something else later :)

Popular posts from this blog

I know you are, but what am I?

I know that majority of my posts are rants - but that's who I am and I ask you not to judge me.  Today's rant is for engaged people everywhere.  I have lots of married friends and several engaged friends and about 90% of them have all comitted this crime - the crime of assuming that because they are engaged and happy that I must follow suit. I love to celebrate an engagement/wedding; it's an exciting time and deserves rejoicing but doesn't need to be used as a tool to discuss with me my current state of bliss (which is usually quite high).  I was talking with The Pirate the other day about this very topic. We both have engaged people in our lives who are now suddenly wanting to know who we are dating, who we like, what are we doing to "find our eternal best friend", etc.  I'm very happy for these friends, but I'm not quite sure why the mantle of happiness spreader comes to them. Is there a sense of obligation that an engaged person feels to help others

When There's Nothing Left to Burn, You Have to Set Yourself on Fire

* UPDATE - So you can all cool your Japanese jets (Stacy), I've finally added the pictures* And so begins the theme song to my 4th of July adventure –Your Ex-Lover is Dead, by Stars. For the 4th of July, I headed south and east to Blanding with my friend Nicole. Nicole grew up in Blanding and a lot of her family still lives there. We left Thursday night and began the 5 hour drive around 7:00 pm. Nicole brought along her dog Bella, an imperial shitzu, which translates to “a pain in the ass”. Picture a chicken nugget with legs – this is Nicole’s dog. Now Bella isn’t disobedient, she just hates me and I hate her. Bella loves to bark and when she barks, she spits – I refer to it as sparking. I was sparked on all weekend – not my favorite thing. Well, Nicole and I finally arrived in Blanding around midnight and the town was alive and buzzing. Every 3rd of July they start a softball game that lasts until 3 or 4 am. Nicole and I didn’t play, but the entire town was there, it was great.

I Stand All Amazed!

This past weekend was a very memorable one for me;  I received my endowments. This is something I’ve been thinking about doing for quite a long time, but wanted to make sure I was doing it for the right reasons. Mt Timpanogos Temple (can you see me in the middle?!) Well after several lengthy conversations with my parents, siblings and a few close friends, praying and fasting, I knew that I was ready. I called the temple, set the date and then notified friends and family. I won’t go into details here about my experience, but I will tell you that I’ve never felt more beautiful, loved and calm as I did that day. I also strengthened my testimony about my Savior and His plan for us. I haven’t stopped smiling since Saturday, but thank heavens I stopped crying. It was such and amazing emotional experience for me and I’m so happy to have been able to share it with my family and friends! Here are a few photos from the day. Mom, Me and Dad Me, my parents