Skip to main content

Konnichi wa

Since I can't be brief about anything, I'm warning you now that there will be several posts for my Japan trip. You can read all of them, none of them, or just scan them.



This first story isn't about Japan exactly, but the adventure of just getting there.

My arrival to Japan was delayed by a day. The initial plan was that we'd meet up at the airport since I was scheduled to arrive about two hours after my friends landed (coming in from Ohio), and then we'd all head out together to our hotel. Well, after sitting for four hours on my plane, taxiing 4 times, deboarding for a "brieft period of time so the situation could be addressed" I was finally informed that my flight was cancelled and I wouldn't be leaving till the next day. I was mad and slightly anxious as I thought about how I'd meet my friends. I was also beyond tired due to two dramamine (I get motion sickness pretty easily) and also two doses of codeine laced cough syrup (I got pretty sick 3 days before I left and I didn't want to be quarantined in Japan - it seriously happens). I went home, called Fumiko (neighbor who is Japanese and helped me with planning some of the trip) and I had her help me plan a route to get from airport to hotel since I'd not longer be meeting my friends and going with them. I also emailed my friends and told them I had a plan worked out to meet them and that everything should work out. Fumiko helped me get everything straightened out and I went to bed somewhat calm that everything would work out. My parents picked me up, again, and I was back at the airport by 5:30 AM. After a 30 minute delay due to the pilots not showing up, we finally boarded the plane again and we were on our way. Just before the plan took off I checked my email once more only to read an email from Pirate and to find out that the address I had given Fumiko was for a hotel at a later date in our trip. I slightly paniced, but what could I do? Plus, I trust Pirate quite a bit and I knew she'd work something out.

I landed in Japan 11.5 hours later and I kept thinking "what if I never find them and I wander the streets of Japan alone?" The adventurous side of me loved this idea, but the logical side hated it and wanted to find my friends. I found an internet cafe in the airport and I was relieved to find an email from Pirate with instructions of where to go and what to do so I could find them; three subway transfers and several sets of stairs later I found them on a corner. I was so relieved to see them!

To see our adventures in Tokyo, click here.

Comments

Drama! I'm glad you at least have an adventurous side or I think the logical side may have had a heart attack from the stress! I'm glad it worked out :)

Popular posts from this blog

When There's Nothing Left to Burn, You Have to Set Yourself on Fire

* UPDATE - So you can all cool your Japanese jets (Stacy), I've finally added the pictures* And so begins the theme song to my 4th of July adventure –Your Ex-Lover is Dead, by Stars. For the 4th of July, I headed south and east to Blanding with my friend Nicole. Nicole grew up in Blanding and a lot of her family still lives there. We left Thursday night and began the 5 hour drive around 7:00 pm. Nicole brought along her dog Bella, an imperial shitzu, which translates to “a pain in the ass”. Picture a chicken nugget with legs – this is Nicole’s dog. Now Bella isn’t disobedient, she just hates me and I hate her. Bella loves to bark and when she barks, she spits – I refer to it as sparking. I was sparked on all weekend – not my favorite thing. Well, Nicole and I finally arrived in Blanding around midnight and the town was alive and buzzing. Every 3rd of July they start a softball game that lasts until 3 or 4 am. Nicole and I didn’t play, but the entire town was there, it was great.

I know you are, but what am I?

I know that majority of my posts are rants - but that's who I am and I ask you not to judge me.  Today's rant is for engaged people everywhere.  I have lots of married friends and several engaged friends and about 90% of them have all comitted this crime - the crime of assuming that because they are engaged and happy that I must follow suit. I love to celebrate an engagement/wedding; it's an exciting time and deserves rejoicing but doesn't need to be used as a tool to discuss with me my current state of bliss (which is usually quite high).  I was talking with The Pirate the other day about this very topic. We both have engaged people in our lives who are now suddenly wanting to know who we are dating, who we like, what are we doing to "find our eternal best friend", etc.  I'm very happy for these friends, but I'm not quite sure why the mantle of happiness spreader comes to them. Is there a sense of obligation that an engaged person feels to help others

My insignificant 6

6 Insignificant Things About Me Well Stacy tagged me, so here are 6 insignificant things about me that some of you didn’t know about till now 1. I hate the site of chewed gum! You know how people put their gum on their plate while they eat dinner? Well the site of that makes me want to gag. I’d rather buy that person a whole pack of gum then look at it on their plate. 2. I have broken my left arm twice –two summers in a row and at the same person’s house. 3.I can’t pee if anyone is within a ten foot radius of me. So no groups of girls going to bathroom together and I need to be in public restrooms completely alone or else it’s a waste of my time. 4.I’m a monster! I have abnormally small hands (and according to Emily, small feet). I’ve been told several times that my hands are unusually small. I can’t hold a football and have a hard time with a basketball. I get cramps using chopsticks and I drop things all the time. One of the best examples of this (which is already in an earlier post)