Skip to main content

Dress for Success

Ever have a case of the "Mondays"? A few days ago I was getting ready for work and the shirt I wanted to wear was a bit wrinkly. Normally I iron 90% of my wardrobe (despite my roommates mocking me), but this morning I was running short on time. It was a sweater so it was pretty thick and didn't need a lot of ironing. I sprayed the shirt with the water bottle and tossed it in the dryer while I finished getting ready. On my way out the door I grabbed the sweater and went to work. I got to work and started my chaotic hours of meetings.  Lately majority of my days consist of me in meetings five out of the eight hours I'm there and it's not uncommon for me to be in one meeting room for about three hours in a row - but I'm usually in front of people writing on the board or helping with discussions.

Around noon my first break came and I went to my desk to check on a few things and while I'm there my boss stopped by to ask me a question and we made our way to a filing cabinet to search for some papers. As we head over I straighten my sweater but notice that it won't straighten or lay flat. I keep tugging at it thinking it will eventually smooth out and I curse myself for not ironing my sweater. As we're talking and I'm fidgeting I realize that this crease or wrinkle is more of a bump. I'm facing my boss and we're talking but I'm completely consumed by the issue with my sweater. I keep playing with it and sneak my hand under the bottom hem of my sweater to see if I can find the cause for this lump. I finally find the lump and realize that a sock has been wadded up in a ball in my sweater this entire time. Normally you'd just leave the sock alone and take care of it at a later time, but I felt some need to keep reaching for it and remove it. I slowly start pulling it out and I'm pretty sure that I'm being super sneaky and discreet about this - there's no way my boss is aware of what's going on. Just as I pull the sock out my boss looks down at my hand, doesn't say a word, but gives me a look that seems to say "Do you really have a sock in your hand that you just pulled out from your sweater - WHILE we're talking?" I just tuck the sock into my pocket, finish the conversation and run back to my desk. I'm embarrassed, but worse things have happened.  But then I think about my day and how I've been in front of people for about four or so hours with this odd bulge from the side of my stomach. Granted I'm not super skinny and most people probably just thought it was a fat roll or that I carry my weight oddly, but it still made me think how many people saw this bulge and didn't say anything.  I'm back at my desk and I throw the sock in my purse and go about my day.  Later that night I went to meet an old friend for dinner and through our conversation I brought up the fact that I'm the proud owner of Bose noise canceling headphones (I highly recommend these to anyone and everyone). I reach into my purse to pull out the headphone case and along with it pops out my brown sock from earlier today and lands on the table right in between us. My friend stared at me and the sock and just chuckled and asked me if I was going bowling later. I just laughed and shoved it in my purse and chose to ignore the question.

Here's what I've learned: When I dress in the morning I make sure to check myself over for any odd bumps, lumps, socks or anything else that could get stuck to me.   So far I've made it out the door these past few days with little or no issues - except the time my juice exploded on my white sweater right as I pulled into work and started another day of marathon meetings with a bright red spot on my sleeve and my hands stained red.  Someone asked me if I had murdered someone and another person just scooted away from me. I just laughed and thought "Ah, another awesome day!"

Comments

Beth and Jess said…
Oh Erin I love you!!!! seriously you are so hilarious.
Charity said…
Love it! You are so Fabulous!!!
Charity said…
You are such a dork. You know somewhere someone in your office has a blog about the special person they work with.

The temple was awesome. Happy Anniversary!!!

-Dean
David and Julie said…
I love reading your stories. It makes me miss you even more!
Meg said…
Erin you never cease to make me laugh out loud! I'm so glad you share these awesome stories with us! Keep them coming!! Love Ya
Unknown said…
Seriously. You could be getting paid to write this stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Chivalry isn't dead, it's killing me.

I've got a bump on my head and a headache - all from my friend opening the door for me. The other day my friend and I attempted to go shopping to try and find him some new clothes.  This friend of mine is a complete gentlemen. He insists on opening car doors, building doors, getting your chair, etc. So as we approached the mall, he went to get the door and I waited. Quick side note: For those of you who have known me a long time, you may know that I rarely wait for guys to get the door. For a long time I never had a guy friend who got the door. If I saw I door, I'd open it and just bust on through (kind of like Kramer). Why wait? Well I started hanging out with gentlemanly friends and started adopting some patience for these door opening men. So Friend grabbed the door and I started to walk through and then WHAMO!  The door had slammed me in the head. I was so disoriented from the hit that I just stood there and looked around. I looked back at Friend and his face was froz

I Stand All Amazed!

This past weekend was a very memorable one for me;  I received my endowments. This is something I’ve been thinking about doing for quite a long time, but wanted to make sure I was doing it for the right reasons. Mt Timpanogos Temple (can you see me in the middle?!) Well after several lengthy conversations with my parents, siblings and a few close friends, praying and fasting, I knew that I was ready. I called the temple, set the date and then notified friends and family. I won’t go into details here about my experience, but I will tell you that I’ve never felt more beautiful, loved and calm as I did that day. I also strengthened my testimony about my Savior and His plan for us. I haven’t stopped smiling since Saturday, but thank heavens I stopped crying. It was such and amazing emotional experience for me and I’m so happy to have been able to share it with my family and friends! Here are a few photos from the day. Mom, Me and Dad Me, my parents

My insignificant 6

6 Insignificant Things About Me Well Stacy tagged me, so here are 6 insignificant things about me that some of you didn’t know about till now 1. I hate the site of chewed gum! You know how people put their gum on their plate while they eat dinner? Well the site of that makes me want to gag. I’d rather buy that person a whole pack of gum then look at it on their plate. 2. I have broken my left arm twice –two summers in a row and at the same person’s house. 3.I can’t pee if anyone is within a ten foot radius of me. So no groups of girls going to bathroom together and I need to be in public restrooms completely alone or else it’s a waste of my time. 4.I’m a monster! I have abnormally small hands (and according to Emily, small feet). I’ve been told several times that my hands are unusually small. I can’t hold a football and have a hard time with a basketball. I get cramps using chopsticks and I drop things all the time. One of the best examples of this (which is already in an earlier post)